Musicwithinyou

Musicwithinyou

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rap for what it's worth

So here's my take on rap.  Yes rap, like any other genre it's not for everyone but before you knock rap give it a chance.  To me rap is all about the beat.  If I listen to a rap song I'm listening to it because it has a great beat to it.  I will agree, I think the reason to many are turned off by rap is because people can't understand what the artist is even saying or what they are raping about ( hatred,killing,drugs,sex,cuss words etc) but that is done about in alot of genre's, just in a different way.    I will agree I have come across some hard core rap (i like to call it) that there is no beat to it and is filled with nothing but cuss words so I sometimes wonder can you really call that music? 

This song I'm posting is by Flo Rida called Good Feeling.  It's not all rap so it's a mix of singing with rap.  I love when genre's mix so when you listen to it don't try to understand what he is saying.  Just close your eye's and feel the beat.  I was told this is a remix to Little Wayne's version of I gotta feeling, but instead of posting that video I am posting the version that Black Eye Peas did.  I like their version better than Little Wayne's but I'm loving this version by Flo Rida.  If anything it makes for great work out music.  I've been jamming to it all week on the treadmill at the gym since I'm there 1 to 3 hours every day. 




 This is the version Black Eye Peas have on I Gotta Feeling.  Totally different than Flo Rida's song.



 Now this last video I am posting is by an artist named Mat Kearney.   Mat is not a rapper but in this song he does a part that you would say he's using rap but during an interview Mat said, No! he does not Rap.  What he used was called spoken word.  I ask you this then, isn't that what rap is, just spoken word set to a beat? 

2 comments:

  1. Some rap I like, some not so much. My problem is the videos and having watched my 12 year old niece want to look like and act like the girls and women in some of the rap videos. ON the other hand,I like a LOT of what I have heard that combines rap and singing.

    I think it is interesting to listen to so many types of music. And it's fun to come here and read what you feel about various music and LISTEN. I've got a feeling just isn't my favorite. Good feeling, though... THAT would be great at the gym.

    And yeah. Undeniable seems like a total blend of rap and singing--just HIS kind of rap.

    Interesting how every new form of music evolves, then is used to change older forms.

    Enjoying your blog so much.

    By the way, thank you. I've been being knocked down and then getting up and beating the odds with this back since I was 26. I will be 60 this summer!

    Inside? I think I am 8. YOU are a real fighter, too. Clearly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jeanette the videos are clearly not for kids.

    You look fantastic for someone who is turning 60, if that is a recent picture of you.

    ReplyDelete